Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 2, 2016   #1
DianesGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Organic control of Beet Leafhoppers

Need Advice. I have lost over 30 tomato plants to beet leafhoppers this year and more continue to die. I've had the official diagnosis from our county extension, and have seen curly top virus in several friends' gardens. One market grower has said he's lost about half of his 600 plants (across 2 very separate fields). Our State extension office just sent out a list of tomato issues and curly top topped the list.

So far, I have removed and thrown away infected plants, sprayed with water, introduced lady bugs and lacewings, put up shade cloth over most of my patches, and have sprayed one garden with insecticidal soap. I read something about beet leafhoppers liking to hang out in old lettuce beds, so pulled that and am contemplating pulling out the Swiss Chard and beets.

Does anyone have experience with this with advice about what you might also try?
DianesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote