Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 1, 2016   #1
shule1

Default Recommended tomatoes with wispy/sparse foliage

I'm looking for some of the best tomatoes (productivity, flavor, earliness) with wispy/sparse foliage. I understand this is a common trait of oxheart tomatoes. It's a trait I like for a few reasons.

If I don't cage the plant, it should in theory get more sun than an uncaged plant with thick foliage, and be easier to find the tomatoes (because the leaves should be easier to see through). If I grow plants in close proximity, these might be easier to deal with like that. They hopefully won't smother other plants quite as much.

The plant with the wispiest foliage (of about a hundred varieties) I'm growing this year is Maglia Rosa. It's doing relatively well; so, I'm planning to grow it again next year. I don't know if it's supposed to have wispy foliage. Last year, Golden King of Siberia was wispy, but I'm not sure if I'll grow it next year. Julia Child is supposed to be wispy/sparse.

Does Indian Stripe Heart have this trait? I ask because I have the seeds, and plan to grow them some time.

Does anyone know an early variety like this? I'm trying to cut out late varieties, for the most part.

I have a preference for acidic tomatoes, but I like most others.

Last edited by shule1; September 1, 2016 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Rename to draw more appropriate attention
Old September 1, 2016   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

As you say many of the old fashioned hearts have this growth pattern. They are lanky and lax and viney and then they load up with heavy fruit so they require strong and tall supports or they will lay flat on the ground. Anna Russian, work release paste, strawberry wedge 1884, are a few good ones to try. Tatianas site is a comprehensive source of varieties. Search the word wispy,
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #3
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

I don't grow many hearts, but Grightmire's Pride has been wispy for me and its described as such on Tatiana's TomatoBase.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #4
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Most hearts I have grown are not acidic to taste but many will have wispy foliage.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #5
shule1

@KarenO

Thanks. Anna Russian looks like it should be a good one. I found a few others at the store at Tatiana's, as well as lots of new non-wispy, but decent sized earlies (including some acidic ones).

@Scooty

Grightmire's Pride looks pretty awesome. Thanks. I already have seeds for it, too.

@Lindalana

You're probably right. It seems to me like acidic varieties are rare in general, though, but somewhat more frequent with early, and cherry tomatoes. I don't know if I've ever had a truly acidic meaty tomato. It seems like non-meaty tomatoes are rare, too.
Old September 1, 2016   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Join the swap and request wispy hearts. you will be pleased with the results I bet.
Most red early varieties are on the acidic (aka sour) flavour profile for sure
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here's one to consider,it's a det,has wispy type carrot foliage is beautiful but I cannot stand the taste of the fruits,just too strong,acidic,whatever. But the strong taste may appeal to you.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Silvery_Fir_Tree

And no,IS Heart does not have wispy foliage,but more than that we still don't have a genetically stable IS Heart,it's a very controversial subject with those who have been working with it,some get this and some get that.Several threads about this at Tville.

Carolyn

Carolyn
Old September 1, 2016   #8
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Anna Maria's Heart is early, wispy, and fairly productive for me. Here, it has done better than Anna Russian.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #9
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Come to think of it, Peach Blow Sutton was also wispy for me.
Old September 1, 2016   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Come to think of it, Peach Blow Sutton was also wispy for me.
Definitely not wispy for me.

I've grown several of what some call fuzzy surfaced ones,I call matte surfaced,and none of them have had wispy leaves.

Tania says source was Germany,but actually it was first offered by the well known Sutton Seed Company in the UK,the the name.

https://www.google.com/#q=peach+blow...n+tomato&hl=en

Carolyn
Old September 1, 2016   #11
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Ah. I have no point of reference. First time growing Peach Blow Sutton. I didn't see a plant picture on Tomatobase, so I was unclear about its foliage and growth habits. If it's not normally wispy, it's probably just the stunted growth of my specific plant out.
Old September 2, 2016   #12
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Here's one to consider,it's a det,has wispy type carrot foliage is beautiful but I cannot stand the taste of the fruits,just too strong,acidic,whatever. But the strong taste may appeal to you.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Silvery_Fir_Tree

And no,IS Heart does not have wispy foliage,but more than that we still don't have a genetically stable IS Heart,it's a very controversial subject with those who have been working with it,some get this and some get that.Several threads about this at Tville.

Carolyn
Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been wanting to grow Silvery Fir Tree off and on. So, this gives me another reason to want to grow it.

I'm guessing I'll like the taste, but I don't know for sure. I've only found a few acidic tomatoes I didn't like much.

Thanks for the information on Indian Stripe Heart. That's very helpful.

The early, wispy ones that looked interesting to me at Tatiana's store included these (then there's also Orange Minsk Heart, which is midseason):
  • Anna Russian (I think I have the seeds)
  • Em Champion
  • Kobzar
  • Rozovye Gryozy
Some potential potentially acidic ones (not necessarily wispy) that look interesting to me, include these:
  • Deviz
  • Gruntowy
  • Morden Yellow
  • Novcerkasskij 416 (I have this one)
  • Saraev Bezrassadnyi
  • Saraev Otbor
  • Surpriz
  • Talalikhin 186
Has anyone tried any of these (especially the wispy ones, since they're on-topic)? I had never heard of most of them.
Old September 2, 2016   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post

I've been wanting to grow Silvery Fir Tree off and on. So, this gives me another reason to want to grow it.

I'm guessing I'll like the taste, but I don't know for sure. I've only found a few acidic tomatoes I didn't like much.

Thanks for the information on Indian Stripe Heart. That's very helpful.

The early, wispy ones that looked interesting to me at Tatiana's store included these (then there's also Orange Minsk Heart, which is midseason):
  • Em Champion
  • Kobzar
  • Rozovye Gryozy
Some potential potentially acidic ones (not necessarily wispy) that look interesting to me, include these:
  • Deviz
  • Gruntowy
  • Morden Yellow
  • Saraev Bezrassadnyi
  • Saraev Otbor
  • Surpriz
  • Talalikhin 186
Has anyone tried any of these (especially the wispy ones, since they're on-topic)? I had never heard of most of them.
If you like tangy/acidic tomatoes, SFT is it.
In addition to its unique foliage, it is very early and productive as well . I have two of them now getting tired after fruiting for a long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july14-SFT-2.jpg (129.6 KB, 119 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #14
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post

I
  • Em Champion
  • Kobzar
  • Rozovye Gryozy
  • Deviz
  • Gruntowy
  • Morden Yellow
  • Saraev Bezrassadnyi
  • Saraev Otbor
  • Surpriz
  • Talalikhin 186
Grown Anna Russian, Kobzar, Rozovye Gryozu and EM Champion. I say Em Champion will have sparsiest foliage of them all but they all quite tasty on sweet side. Kobzar is more cherry.
Liz Birt is nice acidic one I grow and Sakharnyi Pudovichok will give you great taste. Jaune flammee is strong tasting too. Also Sekai Ichi I though was quite on acidic side. Got it from Double HelixFarms.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #15
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Grown Anna Russian, Kobzar, Rozovye Gryozu and EM Champion. I say Em Champion will have sparsiest foliage of them all but they all quite tasty on sweet side. Kobzar is more cherry.
Liz Birt is nice acidic one I grow and Sakharnyi Pudovichok will give you great taste. Jaune flammee is strong tasting too. Also Sekai Ichi I though was quite on acidic side. Got it from Double HelixFarms.
Awesome! Thanks.

Tags
foliage , oxheart , recommendations , sparse , wispy