Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 10, 2017   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Determinate vs Dwarf heights

Last year I raised a couple dwarf seedlings for a friend. Their garden in front of their house. They liked the dwarf habit since the plants topped out at about 4' tall, which made for nice looking plants in the front of the house.

This year I'm considering a dwarf again for them but also considering determinates. In general will an indeterminate dwarf and a determinate plant be about the same height when full grown over a typical northern US summer?

Thanks!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I would say that it really depends on the variety. dwarfs can get to be 5feet + or can remain very short . Determinates also, some are quite large bush types up to 3-4 feet and as big around.
For decorative effect or season-long attractiveness, provided disease is not an issue, I think I would go with larger indeterminate dwarfs myself.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Karen,

That's a great point, the dwarf plants are very nice looking creatures, dwarf Pink Passion it is for them this year.

Justin
Old January 10, 2017   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

that's a great choice
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

"Dwarf" gives an impression/connotation of a small plant and thus determinant. But that is not true.
"Dwarf" can be det or indet.
"Dwarf" can be over 6 ft tall. Of course not as tall as some indets .
Most "Dwarfs" are indeterminant.

"Dwarf" has a peculiar growth habit. It is sometimes called "Tree-like", tending to grow upright. . They also have sort of wispy foliage.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I agree about the sizing of determinates depending on the variety. Some are small, but others can get huge. Soil quality is another variable. In very good soil, I have had varieties grow to be twice the size of the seed company's description.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I agree about the sizing of determinates depending on the variety. Some are small, but others can get huge. Soil quality is another variable. In very good soil, I have had varieties grow to be twice the size of the seed company's description.
I've grown very few determinates so this is good information. Reenforces my decision to stick with a dwarf, they were very pleased with the plant habit in their growing conditions last year. I was afraid a determinate may grow too tall, the plants they grew last year were extremely dense and very lush and also produced well. Being a very small garden, the soil it is grown in is very rich and ideal.