Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 11, 2017   #1
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Default How do you get bamboo culms into the ground as supports?

Long story short I have some evil bamboo on my property that I haven't had the chance to eradicate (yet). The culms are pretty thick and sturdy, so I took a few down and cut into 8ft lengths. My hope is to get them ~2 feet into the ground and string some twine or nylon between to support a wall of tomato & friends. Trouble is I can't imagine how to get the bamboo 2 feet into the ground. I figure a post driver would shatter the culm. I saw one mention of a dead blow hammer on a search, but how big/heavy should that be? Or do I shovel a 2 foot hole, put culm in hole, hold upright, and fill back in? Or is there a better way? Also, any suggestions for attaching the string to the culms? I was thinking about lashing, but drilling and threading might be easier/stronger? I probably need 6-8 posts, so the solution doesn't have to scale up!

Lastly, if you have any practical uses for dug up rhizomes I am all ears
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway View Post
Long story short I have some evil bamboo on my property that I haven't had the chance to eradicate (yet). The culms are pretty thick and sturdy, so I took a few down and cut into 8ft lengths. My hope is to get them ~2 feet into the ground and string some twine or nylon between to support a wall of tomato & friends. Trouble is I can't imagine how to get the bamboo 2 feet into the ground. I figure a post driver would shatter the culm. I saw one mention of a dead blow hammer on a search, but how big/heavy should that be? Or do I shovel a 2 foot hole, put culm in hole, hold upright, and fill back in? Or is there a better way? Also, any suggestions for attaching the string to the culms? I was thinking about lashing, but drilling and threading might be easier/stronger? I probably need 6-8 posts, so the solution doesn't have to scale up!

Lastly, if you have any practical uses for dug up rhizomes I am all ears
To get the bamboo into ground (2 ft ?) get a piece of 3/4" , 3ft long pipe or rebar (from HD, lowes ) . Drive it into ground by a heavy hammer, while wiggling it and then pull it out. Then drive the bamboo into the hole and pack the soil around it. I do this when I use tree branches as stake.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What kind of soil do you have and how thick is the bamboo.
Drive a rod /pipe etc in the ground and move it around as you go.
When it is deep enough put the bamboo in the hole and tamp around it.
I would like to know what kind of timber bamboo would do well here and wont freeze out.
I dont care if it is running bamboo and dont care if it spreads.
I can keep it under control.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #4
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

If you guys don't mind explaining like I'm 5 - not particularly handy or knowledgeable in any thing in particular. When you say drive a rod/pipe or hammer rebar, what kind of hammer?

I added a few inches of compost/topsoil blend at the surface and I guess it is loam under? I'd say the bamboo is an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. As far as what kind, would love to know. This stuff shrugs off snow and freezer temps. Culms seem to reach 20, maybe 30 feet.
Old February 11, 2017   #5
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I'd use a small hand-held sledge. The head is about 3 lbs and the striking face is larger than a carpenter's hammer. Check your local hardware store. I also like to use a piece of wood between the two contact faces to prevent damage and spreading of the cap, but this often takes an "extra" hand.

A great solution for driving posts is a post driver (I know, sounds simple!). This is basically a heavy section of pipe (like a short cast iron black pipe section) with a threaded end cap and handles. It slides over the top of the rebar or post and you just lift it up and slam it down so it drives the pipe in by the impact of its own weight. No more hammer misses!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway View Post
If you guys don't mind explaining like I'm 5 - not particularly handy or knowledgeable in any thing in particular. When you say drive a rod/pipe or hammer rebar, what kind of hammer?

I added a few inches of compost/topsoil blend at the surface and I guess it is loam under? I'd say the bamboo is an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. As far as what kind, would love to know. This stuff shrugs off snow and freezer temps. Culms seem to reach 20, maybe 30 feet.
What kind of hammer ? The heaviest that you can handle and have. Most common hammers for driving/pulling nails won't have enough force.. I would say a hammer that is about 2lbs ++. You can use ordinary hammers too if you give it a hard blow but you might miss the bar as it has small flat end.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 11, 2017   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My dad loaned his 20 pound post maul to the neighbor.
He was driving wood posts ans stopped to talk to someone.
His wife rested her hand on top of the wood post and he turned around and struck the post again without looking.
He pulled off the best he could but it still messed her hand up.

If you are not used to or have done driving with a hammer it is going to be hard to strike the rod or whatever it is you are trying to drive in the ground.
It takes lots of practice and eye hand training just like throwing a ball.

Worth
Old February 11, 2017   #8
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

That sounds horrific. Hope she forgave him!

In theory the rod would only need to be a little longer than 2' in this case, right? So at least I'm not swinging from a step ladder.

Is this the right idea: https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Bull-CHIH...6818328&sr=1-3

Would a post driver work on rebar?
Old February 11, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Wrong hammer.
The dead blow is for hammering things like wood you dont want to mar or hurt.
You need a steel hammer or sledge.

Not a fan of Rebar for anything myself but it's intended use and that is to put in concrete.
But if it was the right size it would work.

Worth
Old February 11, 2017   #10
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

So if not rebar, what kind of rod would you use to create a hole for the bamboo post?
Old February 11, 2017   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Rebar would be fine it just needs to be around 3/4 to one inch in diameter.
Old February 11, 2017   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Id just drive a electrical conduit pipe in the size you need into the ground, I use a sledgehammer, then insert bamboo. I used bamboo my first few years and still do sometimes and that is how i'd do it. You can even do it then remove the pipe and stick the bamboo in and pack dirt around it if your short on pipe.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Rather than buying lumber, to rip/use as stake, this year I will cut a lot of tree
limbs/branches to use as stake. I have plenty of them around. Thanks to Hurricane
Mathew in part. So that is what I am going to do '
LOTS OF HAMMERING AND MAKING HOLES FOR THE CROOKED TREE BRANCHES.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 11, 2017   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Worth-I have plenty of bamboo growing here. If you know how I can dig a rhizome out for you I'd be happy to send you some.
The sprouts are good eating and I'm preparing to make a wattle fence out of a bunch.
If it weren't for my neck I'd be able to cut down and prepare a ton but my bad neck hurt for two weeks after my last session.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #15
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've used bamboo off and on for a few years now. My neighbor asks me to come and thin out his stand of 30+ footers. After some trial and lots of error, I've found that the best way to use green bamboo is to sharpen the smaller end of the piece you're gonna use and cut the larger end just so that the thing your "driver" hits is one of the "joints" . Not sure what those joints are really called.

They are usually only good for one season. And, you need to cover the end that is up so that rain will not collect and hasten rotting. Other than that, bamboo is cheaper than lumber and replaces itself from season to season.

For what the originator of this thread was suggesting, I would buy some "T" metal poles and not worry about all that other stuff. Tractor Supply has 6 foot metal "T" poles for under $4 bucks if you buy a few. They'll last a few years even with heavy abuse. Most of my attempts at "Florida Weave" has utilized these "T" poles. That works pretty good for all kinds of things in the garden.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote