Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 22, 2017   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato growing as purpose & therapy

After multiple strokes, heart, lung, and skeletal issues the pain and immobility issues had reached the point that being limited to this chair had begun to lead to thoughts that were totally contrary to my faith. Thankfully, in a strange way, the degenerating nerves have reduced the pain. A few years ago I had three large dump loads of wood chips spread in a twenty foot line. What was a five foot tall hill has now rotted down to just a couple of feet.

I HAD to do Something. I Had to get outside! That decided, my wife picked up three plants. There are now twelve. If nothing else, I could use either my chair or walker and go into the front yard and get down on my knees to use a hoe to dig enough holes into that mulch pile to plant those tomatoes over the past three weeks.

My wife asked WHY we needed that many tomatoes. I explained that it wasn't about the tomatoes, it was about purpose and having SOMETHING to look forward to and in which to have an interest. Thank you all.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Yes it IS good therapy to get outside and check on our plants. Tie them up, inspect the leaves, and to feel the joy of having something growing.

I wish you a wonderful growing season and a bountiful harvest

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the kind words. For the first time, I will be trying a new approach, i.e., using a very thick layer of oat straw under the planting area and allowing the tomatoes to grow on that. I simply don't have the ability anymore to do staking and all. Too, I won't be using animal fertilizers as I don't want to introduce pathogens. I did use limestone to offset the acidity of the rotted wood chips. Any suggestions using this approach will be appreciated.
Old May 22, 2017   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Our very own Craig LeHoulier is an expert on Straw Bale Gardening. Perhaps the web page below will be of some help......

http://www.craiglehoullier.com/straw-bales/

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Keep on growing It's the best therapy I know of. I HAD to do Something too, and like you, I chose gardening in 2010. It has made a world of difference.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #6
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I wish you a great harvest. I don't know where you are located but if you are close I would love to assist on the things you are unable to do. Besides my love of tomatoes I knew I needed stuff to keep me moving when I began drawing SS and dropping work to 2 days a week. So I decided a garden appealed to me. I also love fishing, but a guys gotta move around sometimes.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks, Linda - "expert" - I would say practitioner, growing familiarity, student of the technique. My view is that with gardening, it is not really about experts - gardening is a life long journey where we are all learning so much from each other, all the time - it is a pursuit that demands reactions to changing conditions.

mensplace, you really have the essence of gardening - the joy in the journey, the daily changes and challenges. Focusing on the daily adventures makes it a year long pursuit - not just a growing season task. Have a superb, successful time with the tomatoes!
Old May 22, 2017   #8
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's good to hear you are taking on the challenge. If I might make some suggestions for you though. I have numerous medical conditions which make it difficult for me to garden the usual way, like getting onto the ground and working it. I use raised beds that come to a minimum of my hip height. Then I have some livestock water containers I bought at tractor supply to grow in as well. I also use 5 gallon buckets for smaller items that don't need to go into the bigger beds.

Hubby and I have built a few trellis's this year to help me out with upward growing and it has been a tremendous help to me. I am trellising cantaloupe and will also be trellising sugar baby watermelons as well. I am growing as many bush plants as possible and also growing determinate tomatoes because I can't be on a ladder dealing with 7 foot tall plants. These tomatoes are in front of my big trellis with a cage around them and I am tying them off the trellis for support as well. The only staking I have done is the initial stake for the tomato plant to keep it upright from the start. I will be growing some pole beans at one point though because I have this great 10' tall by about 15' long the tomatoes are in front of I want to use to my advantage.

While gardening in the smaller containers I sit on my garden bench which makes it the perfect height to do just about all I need to do.

I totally understand your mobility needs and would like to offer help with designs if you would like some. Have a great time gardening, it sure makes my heart full and it has helped get me off the couch too.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 22, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Indeed! Growing is good for what ails us. Especially growing tomatoes!!!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #10
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

My plants were put deep into the rotted oak chips and then surrounded with a very deep layer of the straw. On top of that I put a mix of NPK, micronutrients, and limestone, which was washed down with the rain. Now for some kind of cheap drip system. How best to protect the fruit that will be lying on the top?
Old May 22, 2017   #11
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

I am healthy aside from some stomach issues,but I've been growing plants since age 7,so 16 years total(i'm 23 now).First plants that interested me were of course cactuses with their weird shapes,spines and beautiful flowers.Gradualy I started growing all kinds of plants,and since 3 years ago,I'm slowly moving on to veggies too-tomatoes being the favourite one ofc.
So my story is somewhat opposite of yours @mensplace,I'm healthy and can do whatever I want,but the only thing I WANT to do is grow and research plants.

Your choice of tomato was certanly a correct one.They require lots of attention and care,the grower offten becomes emotionaly attached to every plant just from time spent with them.Tomatoes also have incredible diversity of shapes,colors and tastes,and one could spend several lifetimes and still not discover all the wonderful diversity of this vegetable.
Hope you get better & have many delicious tomatoes to enjoy!
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #12
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Some may remember that there was a time when I had hundreds of varieties. Back then I once grew what I considered to be one perfect tomato. Today, I would be happy to have some good tomato sandwiches. With about a year and a half to go before going home, I'm just trying to keep this as simple as possible while having something to get me outside a couple times a day in the early morning and evening.
Though I have forgotten a lot, seems I remember that a few here also grow without staking and allow the fruit to mature on the straw while being shaded by the foliage.
Old May 22, 2017   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn is one that grew lots of tomatoes without staking or pruning.
I hope you have an enjoyable season in the garden, mensplace.
Here is a product that my dad used to keep gardening when he had mobility issues. He could sit on this and still move from place to place. Having a way to comfortably sit and garden made a big difference.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CPWOYUC?psc=1
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #14
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad to hear that you are getting out of your chair and into the soil. You will be far happier. Gardening is good for the body and spirit. It will get you thinking outside of yourself and you will be feeling even less pain while you are busy.
Good for you and enjoy the tomatoes!
Old May 22, 2017   #15
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
Some may remember that there was a time when I had hundreds of varieties. Back then I once grew what I considered to be one perfect tomato. Today, I would be happy to have some good tomato sandwiches. With about a year and a half to go before going home, I'm just trying to keep this as simple as possible while having something to get me outside a couple times a day in the early morning and evening.
Though I have forgotten a lot, seems I remember that a few here also grow without staking and allow the fruit to mature on the straw while being shaded by the foliage.
So glad you're still able to garden, mensplace.. Getting going will keep you going. I looked so forward to this year after my first year. Hope you get more sandwiches than you can eat!. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote