Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 27, 2021   #1
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Default Flooding

Anyone else having torrential downpours? Between 11am and 4pm today we got over 5" of rain. I don't know the exact amount because my rain gauge was overflowing when I checked it.
My raised bed didn't get flooded out, but it certainly got watered deeply. Should I spray anything on my tomatoe plants for their health? Sorry for such a newbie question, but this soaking is fairly new for me.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2021   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

If the weather is going to stay wet and humid you should probably consider anti-fungal treatment, or be on the alert for fungus. With 10 - 20% humidity and sparse rain I'm a far cry from expert on your situation. Good luck!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2021   #3
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
If the weather is going to stay wet and humid you should probably consider anti-fungal treatment, or be on the alert for fungus. With 10 - 20% humidity and sparse rain I'm a far cry from expert on your situation. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. Here in SWMO our humidity levels run fairly high. With all the rain we have had this spring, i worry about fungus. Is that where spraying with a light bleach solution is recommended?
Old May 29, 2021   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Depends what stage the plants are at. If they are with a fruit load, then the fungus threat is high, otherwise not really, the plants are very resistant until they unload all the nutrients in the fruit.

I think the bleach spray is more for killing than prevention, for that the copper sprays are quite good.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2021   #5
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Depends what stage the plants are at. If they are with a fruit load, then the fungus threat is high, otherwise not really, the plants are very resistant until they unload all the nutrients in the fruit.

I think the bleach spray is more for killing than prevention, for that the copper sprays are quite good.
Thank you, that is the info I was looking for. They are setting fruit, so I will get some copper spray.